Meteora Day Trip From Athens By Train
Escape the busy city of Athens and embark on a journey to the holy site of Meteora with this Meteora Day Trip From Athens By Train. Experience scenic mountains and valleys of countryside Greece by train!
Although there are so many things to see and do in Athens, we promise you that a day trip to Meteora by train will leave you astonished and amazed. Indeed this unique rock formation can only be found in Meteora and nowhere else on this planet! Dating back to over 60 million years, to this day scientists still cannot explain this natural phenomenon. Take a day trip by train from Athens to find out why Meteora made it to UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites and why thousands of tourists visit this historical and religious site every year! Meteora is made up several monasteries each one strategically placed at the tops of these rocky formations. Before the paths that lead to these monasteries were paved through, monks hiked and climbed to reach their monasteries for hundreds of years. Witness for yourself this one of a kind, holy sanctuary on this Meteora day trip from Athens by train!
This day trip to Meteora by train starts at Larissa Train Station in Athens where you will board the train at 8:20 a.m. for Kalabaka-Meteora. Take out your cameras and phones because you will not want to miss the scenery along the way to Meteora. Around 1:30 p.m. the train arrives in Kalabaka Train Station where your guide will be waiting for you holding a signboard with your name on it. Upon greeting each other you will board a Limo VIP minibus that fits up to 19 people, to take you on a tour around the site of Meteora. Take out your cameras again as you witness these majestic, holy monasteries and the breathtaking views along the way. During this Meteora day trip from Athens, you will have the opportunity to make brief stops at the best viewpoints of Meteora as well as visit 2 monasteries of Meteora. Around 5:00 p.m., the bus will transfer you back to Kalabaka Train Station where you will take the train back to Athens. The train departs at 5:22 p.m and arrives in Athens around 10:15 p.m, wrapping up a day of traveling by train to Meteora where you witnessed firsthand this natural wonder!
Itinerary of the Meteora Day Trip From Athens By Train
Depart from Athens
You will take the train on your own from Athens to Kalabaka at 8:20 a.m. from Larissa Train Station in Athens.
Arrival in Kalabaka
Around 1:30 p.m. you will arrive at Kalabaka Train Station where your guide will be waiting for you holding a signboard with your name on it.
Bus transfer to Meteora
Next, you will get on a minibus that will transfer you to Meteora.
Time to explore!
Your tour guide will take you to the best viewpoints for pictures as well as to two Monasteries for you to enter.
Transfer back to Kalabaka
Around 5:00 p.m., the bus will transfer you back to Kalabaka Train Station where you will take the train back to Athens at 5:22 p.m.
Arrival in Athens
Estimated time of arrival in Athens is 10:15 p.m.
You will board the train at the Athens Railway Station
- See all six monasteries
- Enter inside two monasteries
- English speaking tour leader
- 3-hour tour of Meteora
- Round-trip train ticket from Thessaloniki to Meteora
- First class train tickets upon request
- Visit a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Meal take away
- Free map and bottle of water provided on the tours
- Free wifi on board the bus
- French, Italian, Spanish, Romanian and Russian guides on request
- Taxes & service fees
- Gratuities (optional)
- Entrance fees to the monasteries, 3 euro per person, per monastery
- Transfers to/from Athens Hotel/Train station/Airport/Port
- Personal travel insurance
- Train tickets are issued for second-class seats. If you wish to upgrade to first class you may choose to add to your basket the 1st class seats upgrade add-on before you complete the booking.
- There is a strict dress code for entering the monasteries: Long pants and sleeves for men, long dress for women. If you’ll be dressed otherwise and wish to enter a monastery, similar clothing is provided on site.
- Bookings must be made at least 2 days prior to the trip.
- In case you book the first class add-on and one (or both) of the trains don't have any first class seats, we will book you on economy class on that and refund you the add-on.
- Confirmation for this product will be received after booking, subject to availability.
- Any participants under the age of 12 must have a parent or guardian present to sign on their behalf
- Wear closed toed shoes.
- There are many beautiful sights. You are encouraged to bring a camera along
- Weather will not affect the operation of the tours. However if canceled due to unfavorable weather conditions, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund.
- Please be at the station at least 30 minutes before the departure in order to have plenty of time to find your coach and seats. The stewards there will assist you.
- There is a cafeteria-coach inside every train, where you can buy snacks and refreshments.