Meteora Day Trip from Thessaloniki by Train
Embark on a day trip to the holy site of Meteora from Thessaloniki through scenic mountains and valleys of countryside Greece!
One of the world’s biggest natural mysteries is Meteora, a conglomerate of sandstone rock formations that stand tall amongst the mountains of Kalambaka. These rocky mountains took over 60 million years to form, placing them on UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites list as one of the world’s most cultural and physical noteworthy places. Other than its unique and one of a kind appearance, Meteora is a sacred religious site of Greece, where the first hermit monks settled here back in the 10th century AD. Following Mount Athos, Meteora is the second largest monastic site in Greece with once being the home to 24 monasteries. Today, 6 monasteries still remain open to the public. Witness for yourself this majestic, holy site on this Meteora day trip from Thessaloniki by train!
Your journey to Meteora by train from Thessaloniki begins with the 10:22 a.m. train from the Thessaloniki Railway Station. Be sure to charge your cameras and phones before your trip, as you do not want to miss capturing the beautiful scenery along the train ride. Once you arrive in Kalambaka, the town found right at the foot of Meteora, our English speaking driver will be waiting to pick you up to transfer you to the Meteora Monasteries. Do not worry about getting lost, as the driver will be holding a signboard with your name on it, waiting to pick you up. Upon arriving at the Monasteries of Meteora, you will have approximately three hours to explore two Monasteries. There is a strict dress code for entering the monasteries: long pants and sleeves for men, long dress for women. If you’ll be dressed otherwise and wish to enter a monastery, similar clothing will be provided on site. At the end of the day, the driver will transfer you back to the town of Kalambaka where you will take the 5:22 p.m. train. On the way back, you will have to switch trains at Paleofarsalos Station which will eventually take you to Thessaloniki. Estimated time of arrival in Thessaloniki is 9:40 p.m. After a long day of traveling through the picturesque mountains and valleys of northern Greece, and exploring the iconic monasteries, we hope you will agree with us when we say that this Meteora day trip from Thessaloniki by train is the ultimate activity that combines travel, history, nature and more!
Itinerary of the Meteora Day Trip from Thessaloniki by Train:
Depart from Thessaloniki Railway Station
Train from Thessaloniki to Kalambaka departs at exactly 10:22 a.m.
Train ride to Kalambaka
Once on the train, sit back and enjoy the scenic view.
Arrival at Kalambaka
Upon arriving at Kalambaka, your driver will be holding a signboard with your name on it to transfer you to Meteora.
Time to explore Meteora
Once arriving at the historic site of Meteora, you will have three hours to explore 2 monasteries.
Drive back to Kalambaka
After three hours, your driver will be ready to transfer you back to Kalambaka.
Depart from Kalambaka at 5:22 p.m.
Your train from Kalambaka departs at 5:22 p.m. On the way back to Thessaloniki you will have to switch trains at Paleofarsalos Station which will eventually take you to Thessaloniki.
Arrival to Thessaloniki
Estimated time of arrival in Thessaloniki is 9:40 p.m.
You will board the train at Thessaloniki Railway Station
- See all six monasteries
- Enter inside two monasteries
- English speaking tour leader
- 3-hour tour of Meteora
- Round trip train ticket from Thessaloniki to Meteora
- First class train tickets upon request
- Visit a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Takeaway meal
- Free map and bottle of water provided on the tours
- Free wifi on board the bus
- French, Italian, Spanish, Romanian and Russian guides on request
- Taxes & service fees
- Gratuities (optional)
- Lunch and Dinners that are not in descriptions
- Entrance fees to the monasteries, 3 euro per person, per monastery
- Transfers to/from Thessaloniki Hotel/Train station/Airport/Port
- Personal travel insurance
- Train tickets are issued for second-class seats. If you wish to upgrade to first class you may choose to add to your basket the 1st class seats upgrade add-on before you complete the booking.
- There is a strict dress code for entering the monasteries: Long pants and sleeves for men, long dress for women. If you’ll be dressed otherwise and wish to enter a monastery, similar clothing is provided on site.
- Bookings must be made at least 2 days prior to the trip.
- On your return to Thessaloniki, you will have 1 hour and 30 minutes waiting time at Paleofarsalos Station in order to change train.
- In case you book the first class add-on and one (or both) of the trains don't have any first class seats, we will book you on economy class class on that and refund you the add on.
- Confirmation for this product will be received after booking, subject to availability.
- Any participants under the age of 12 must have a parent or guardian present to sign on their behalf.
- Wear closed toed shoes.
- There are many beautiful sights. You are encouraged to bring a camera along
- Weather will not affect the operation of the tours. However if canceled due to unfavorable weather conditions, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund.
- Please be at the station at least 30 minutes before the departure in order to have plenty of time to find your coach and seats. The stewards there will assist you.
- There is a cafeteria-coach inside every train, where you can buy snacks and refreshments.