Meteora Sunset Tour from Kalampaka
Finish your day with a Meteora Sunset Tour while gazing at the sun slowly drop beneath the horizon. Experience this breathtaking scene in one of the most unique places on earth.
If you find yourself on an excursion to Meteora, going on a Sunset Tour in Kalabaka is a must. Finish your day while gazing at the sun slowly drop beneath the horizon. Experience this breathtaking scene in one of the most unique places on earth.
Meteora is considered the second most important historic site in Greece following the Acropolis. It is a complex of sandstone rocky mountains which took 60 million years to form. How they were formed remains a mystery. Listed in UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites, it is also the second largest monastic site in Greece following Mount Athos. 6 of the original 24 monasteries are still active. The history and tales are endless, as are the paths to explore this unique area. The local guides are more than capable of offering both.
Spice up your Meteora visit with the Sunset Tour. Avoid the crowds by taking paths less traveled by the majority of tourists and hear the history and legend of the area by a local tour guide. Visit sites which tell the 27-century old story of the region like the Monastery of St. Nicholas Badova (Kofina) and the surrounding caves. Top it all off by watching the sun descend from the edges of the rocky mountain complex.
You have the option of combining the Sunset Tour with the Half-Day Tour or the Meteora Hiking Tour for a full day experience.
Distance from surrounding areas: Thessaloniki – Meteora, 225 km (2.5 hours driving), Halkidiki –Meteora 315 km (3.5 hours driving)
Itinerary of the Meteora Sunset Tour from Kalampaka
Pick up from your hotel
Pick up from your hotel in Kalabaka, transport to Meteora, an UNESCO World Heritage site. Your tour is scheduled to avoid the masses of tourists, as well as planned to guide you through off the beaten paths. All this in order to give the most original possible feeling of the sites.
See the monasteries
Your guide will take you on a tour of one of the ancient monasteries while telling the story of the land.
Visit the Hermit Caves
Head to the caves surrounding the Monastery of St. Nicholas Badova. The Caves of Badova served as a sanctuary for hermits and later on as a refuge site for monks during the demise of the Byzantine Empire. See the inside of the caves and continue to visit the monastery, one of the earliest Christian churches.
Watch the sunset!
Finish the tour with a front row seat to the amazing sunset with a supporting cast of the Meteora mountains. Absorb the beauty of nature and the tranquility of the moment.
This activity offers pick up from your hotel in Kalampaka
- Semi-independent tour
- English-speaking tour leader
- Pick up and drop off from your Hotel in Kalampaka town or Kastraki village
- Transportation by air-conditioned mini bus
- Free Map and Bottle of water
- Free wifi on board
- Gratuity (optional)
- Entrance fees at the one monastery, 3 euro per person
- Entrance fees at the Byzantine church of Virgin Mary, 2 euro per person
- Available: Combination with our Meteora Half-Day Tour to make it a full day experience.
- 2 person minimum for this tour.
- Confirmation at time of booking.
- A parent or legal guardian must be present for participants 12 years old and under.
- We advise you wear comfortable shoes for plenty of walking.
- Don’t forget your camera or to leave enough memory available on your phone.
- If the tour were to be canceled due to weather, you’ll be given the option of rescheduling or a full refund.
- There is a strict drees code for entering the monasteries: Long pants and sleeves for men, long dress for women. If you’ll be dressed otherwise and wish to enter a monastery, similar clothing is provided on site.